21 March 2009

Make Your Buddha Smile

It rained today. For most of the day. My mood followed suit. In part due to my baking disaster yesterday (a whole loaf in the garbage!) and general malaise due to changing seasons, hormones, whatever, I was not a happy camper. I just wandered around the apartment, not sure what to cook, not sure what to buy, but starving nonetheless. Didn't I just write that my life is dictated by food? It's true.

Turner did his best to cheer me up with plentiful hugs, but success in the kitchen is what I really needed. So I went to our local store for vegetables and some other foodstuffs and came home with a head full of ideas.

It went a little like this. Rain. Yuck. Soup. Yum. Water. Carrots. Onion. Celery. Boil boil boil. Strain out overcooked stock vegetables. Noodles. Carrots. Zucchini. Leafy green something. Vegetable soup!


But wait, where's the protein? Ok. Eggs. Water. Boil boil boil. Cover. Hard-boiled eggs!


What a cheery plate of eggs. And perfectly cooked too. The secret, you ask? Cold eggs, cold water. Bring to a boil together for a couple of minutes. Turn off heat and cover for almost 10 minutes. Works every time.


Success at last. A comforting lunch suitable for such a dismal, dreary day.


Makes my buddha happy.


I also made rice pudding, apple crisp, and pizza dough so far today. I'm on a roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment