24 February 2009

Simple Pleasures

Sometimes it's something so simple that so sensationally satisfies. Okay, I got alliterated-away. The other day I craved chocolate, surprise surprise, who doesn't get a chocolate craving every now and then? I really don't get them that often, but when one hits, I have a fail-safe remedy.

The best brownies ever!

It's a fairly simple recipe that even the most hard core box-mix bakers can follow. I think it's from Martha Stewart, like many other pleasurable recipes, but I have been making this one recipe for so long that I can't quite remember its origins.


Double Chocolate Brownies

Probably adapted from Martha Stewart

  • 6 T unsalted butter
  • 6 oz. coarsely chopped semi-sweet chocolate (I prefer Ghiradelli for its price point and quality.)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Don't know what the unsweetened bit means but I use Hershey's.)
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 t vanilla
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter bottom and sides of 8x8 or 9x9 pan.
  2. Put butter, chocolate, and cocoa in double boiler over simmering water. Stir until melted and then set aside to cool.
  3. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
  4. In large bowl, whisk sugar, eggs, and vanilla until pale, about 4 minutes. Add the melted chocolate mixture. Beat until combined. Add flour mixture and beat until well-incorporated.
  5. Pour in prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes. (I prefer to underbake instead of overbake for fudgier brownies. Your choice.) Let cool 15 minutes before removing from pan.

You'll think you'd died and gone to heaven after eating these. I don't think I've made any other brownie recipe for almost 5 years, and I never add anything to these--no nuts, no frosting.

They're not the most photogenic, but sometimes all you need is a warm brownie and then all is right with the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment